- Getting involved in school meals programs is easy. Start with these simple steps:
- Review cafeteria menus with your child and encourage them to try new menu items. Prepare new foods – especially fruits and vegetables – at home and your child may be more willing to try these foods at school.
- Visit the school cafeteria to make your own observations and have lunch. Check with the principal first to make sure that is allowed!
- Inquire about volunteer opportunities in your school cafeteria. Some schools request parent volunteers to help usher students through the lunch line and encourage them to eat their fruits and vegetables. Many school districts have a wellness committee comprised of community volunteers, to help establish district nutrition and physical activity policies.
- For more information, visit Tray Talk’s Get Involved page.
Fresh Carrots and Grape Tomatoes
Innovations like farm-to-school projects with locally grown produce or school gardens are impacting students' choices on the tray.